Can we sue child services for wrongly taking a child away without the proper evidence?

Friday night CPS came to our house and took our child saying that we neglected to take her to doctor appointments and our house was dirty. Our child has had medical issues in the past causing her to have more then one surgery . All her surgeries were preformed at a medical center. When we went to her last surgery they told us if her stomach healed she wouldn’t needed to go back we would just have to call. We have doctor records to show we took her to all her appointments and even had the nearest hospital check X-ray her stomach so that we were sure everything was in tact .

Asked on July 16, 2012 under Family Law, Pennsylvania


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

Depending upon the fcats of the alleged wrong you may have a factual and legal basis for bringing a legal action against Child Protection Services (CPS) for the wrongful taking of your child.

In order to ascertain if there is a legal or factual basis for such, I suggest that you consult with a personal injury attorney.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.