Can the doctor force me to undergo a pap smear before prescribing me birth control?

Asked on February 27, 2013 under Malpractice Law, Michigan


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 7 years ago | Contributor

This doctor is free to refuse to prescribe any medication, including birth control, unless he conducts a test which he believes is medically necessary or appropriate. You are free to seek some other doctor or clinic (such as Planned Parenthood?) which may be willing to forego this test; but you cannot force a medical practioner to prescribe medicine without a test or examination, if doing so would be against his or her medical judgment.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.