Can Sallie Mae change the terms of my loan 10 times within1 month without written notice?

Sallie Mae has called me 20 times per day with an auto bot phone system that calls every hour. They email and text me to pay them their money or my wages could be garnished and credit ruined which would prevent me from enjoying my future. When payments were agreed upon they kept increasing the payment to due errors the specialist were making. I have gone through over 10 “errors” with them and not sure what my payment is or should be as no one can explain to me whats going on with my account, not even the supervisors. Ive been hung up on and told that the managers do not want to speak to me.

Asked on September 1, 2011 under Bankruptcy Law, New Jersey


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

I am so sorry for your situation.  It seems, though, that you are not alone.  There are complaints all over the internet about the way that they are handling student loans and the unorganization of their book keeping.  And there are complaints about down right fraud (never mind rudeness and social niceties).  If you are getting the run around ai would contact your state attorney general's office  and file a complaint.  You should also consider speaking with an attorney to call them on your behalf.  They may be able to stick to a figure if they know you mean business.  never speak with a customer service rep you get when you call.  Always ask for supervisor.  Always take names and id numbers and phone extensions.  Good luck.

FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

The problem that you are having concerning the loan that you have and payments where payments have been demanded at various terms and conditions that keep changing is that you are not dealing with an actual person on the telephone time and time again.

You need to deal with one live person about the situation to reach an agreed amount owed, monthly payment installment and rate of interest on the obligation you owe. When this is reached, you need to have a written agreement prepared by your creditor memorializing the agreement for payment as to all specific trms and have it signed by you and an authorized representative for your creditor with a date upon the document.

Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.