Can my landlord increase my rent if my son visits me for longer than 3 days?

I live in a 2-bedroom apartment with my 10 year old son. I have a disabled 22 year old son who visits. I was told that my lease says that my rent will increase if a visitor stays more than 3 days. Is this legal?

Asked on July 26, 2010 under Real Estate Law, Minnesota


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

It certainly does not sound that way, does it?  Fundamentally a lease is a contract between tow parties.  It is usually understood that they have agreed to the terms of the lease when they sign it.  But certain provisions of a lease can be found to be "unconscionable" or "against public policy" and stricken by a Judge.  It does not make the entire lease void just that provision.  Or it can make the lease "voidable" meaning that it can be stricken entirely.  What you need to do is to take your lease to an attorney who specializes in this area to read on your behalf and let you know based upon the law of your state.  You can also try a tenant organization.  They can let you know your options. Good luck. 

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.