Can my husband make me give him my car if it’s in his name?

My husband and I are separated, he is
saying I have to give him the car i
drive because he’s going to sell it.
What can i do? I make the payments on

Asked on December 18, 2017 under Family Law, Virginia


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

If the car was purchased during the marriage then it is assumed to be marital property for distribution in the event of a divorce.  If you have retained a lawyer then I would strongly suggest that you consult him or her about the next step to insure he does not do anything to compromise ANY of the marital assets  - his pension, life insurance, etc. - to your detriment.  Tite of the asset has nothing to do with ownership in a divorce.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.