Can my grandma stop the bank from pressing charges on me for writing a check in her name?

I wrote a check for $250 in her name.

Asked on May 19, 2016 under Criminal Law, Georgia


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

No, she can't: when the law is violated, the victim of the crime is only a witness (often called the "complaining witness") to the crime--she is not in charge of the criminal case, the way someone filing a lawsuit (the "plaintiff") is in charge of the civil case. Rather, the criminal case is brought by the state (the authorities) to enforce the law, and can be brought based on the complaint of anyone who witnessed or otherwise has evidence of a crime--in this case, the bank. Anyone who is aware of a crime may report it, and no one has the right to stop them from doing so. The bank may choose to not bring this to the police, if they haven't already, if your grandmother asks them--but they don't have to listen to her, and if they have already brough it to the police, it is effectively out of their hands.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.