Can my girlfriend ignore a police investigation?

I got charged with domestic violence for punching a hole in the wall. My case got

dismissed as soon as I got into court, however the police are still trying to contact my girlfriend to further investigate. Can she just continue to ignore the police?

Asked on October 9, 2018 under Criminal Law, Arizona


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 2 years ago | Contributor

Unless supoenaed, she need not speak with the police. In fact she should not until then; she is under no legal duty to do so. This is true even if the show up to her house. The police are trained and experienced in getting people to make incriminating statements about either themselves or others. So until she consults directly with a local criminal law attorney, she should not submit to any police questioning.

SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 2 years ago | Contributor

She can ignore them until and unless they subpoena her to appear or speak to them. Once the authorities resort to legal process, she has to comply or else be subject to punishment, up and including imprisonment. But as long as they are just asking informally (no legal process used), she can ignore them.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.