UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption


I shared a video of a girl who voiced an opinion
about a certain group of people. She told me
sharing her video without permission is
harrasment and she is thinking about taking it
to court. What exactly can she do? I didnt state
anything negative about her, just the topic. She
put it on social media.

Asked on October 9, 2018 under Criminal Law, Florida


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

No, sharing a video that a person created is not harassment: if it was sent to you by her, or available to you (e.g. on her social media site), you may repost or share it. Since you indicate that she posted it on social media, then unless you "hacked" her account or impersonated one of her friends to access it (i.e. you did not have access under your own name), you did nothing wrong that you could be sued or face charges for: reposting or sharing anther person's words, video, etc. which she made available in one way or another to you is perfectly legal. Possibly you violated this social media site's terms of service and could be blocked by it, but that's a wholly different matter and one we cannot comment on, not knowing the terms of service.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption