Can my ex-wife sue for attorney’s fees if I’m pro se?

I make more than my ex-wife and therefore any court action while I was represented required me to pay a portion of her attorney fees (CO C.R.S 14-10-119). However, if pro se, would this still apply as I “no longer have an advantage to maintain a case” (ie out-spend her in litigation)? After 2 years of divorce and numerous motions filed by her, it’s time to move on.

Asked on March 18, 2011 under Family Law, Colorado


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

Awarding attorneys fees is different in an action for divorce than is another type of lawsuit. In other types of suits attorney fees are awarded based on the merits of the case. But in a divorce proceeding, fees are awarded either on the basis of ability to pay (finances) or if one of the parties is intentionally being an obstacle to resolving the issues in the divorce (groundless and frivolous awards). 

You are correct that under C.R.S. §14-10-119, awards of attorney fees are based upon the parties having a lack of financial parity such that the Court can order a financially advantaged spouse to pay some portion of the financially disadvantaged spouse’s “reasonable” attorney fees and costs. Did you see the word "reasonable" here?   Just because one spouse earns more than another does not mean the Court will award attorney fees.  Although it is within the court's discretion to award in any event.  Having an attorney does not necessarily mean that you can not pay attorney's fees and I would not go pro se just to try and move in that direction.  But I would take a look at her actions and motion making.  If her actions are tantamount to being bad faith - acting in an unreasonable manner or just being litigious for the sake of being litigious - then maybe you can be awarded “groundless and frivolous” attorney fees.   Hey, you never know.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.