Is it legal that the judge changed my ‘Impeding Traffic’ ticket to a ‘speeding ticket’?

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Is it legal that the judge changed my ‘Impeding Traffic’ ticket to a ‘speeding ticket’?

I was pulled over for speeding. The officer to give me a break wrote the ticket as Impeding traffic instead. I wasn’t impeding traffic so I went to court to protest. The judge then changed it the speeding ticket which was a higher fine and has points. So I made a real bad move. Is this legal? It doesn’t seem right. I was always polite to both the judge and officer and my penalty and fine were made worse…

Asked on June 27, 2019 under General Practice, Michigan


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

If the facts (i.e. that you were speeding) support the ticket the judge changed it to, he could do this: while you can't be ticketed for worse than you actually did, the judge can change the ticket to reflect what did (i.e. that you sped) and take away any more favorable treatment the officer may have offered you.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption