Can my ex-husband prevent me from having a roommate.

I am a single mother. We split custody of our 11 year old child. I own the house.
There are no stipulations in our divorce settlement.

Asked on April 5, 2017 under Family Law, Minnesota


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

Absent a court order or agreement to the contrary, you can have any age or gender roommate that you desire. That having been said, if your roommate has a history of violence or child abuse, etc., then your ex-husband could try and get sole custody of our minor child.  

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.