Can my employer label 40% of the pay that they originally offered me as “extra duty pay” and only list the other 60% as salary?

My new employer sent me my salary information. 60% of the promised amount was in ‘salary’ and 40% was in ‘extra duty pay’ and states it is not guaranteed pay. When I spoke to them on the phone, they said, although it says the 40% isn’t guaranteed, I will get it. When I think of ‘extra duty’ I think of “beyond the normal scope of one’s job”, but they are stating that it is part of my normal pay, even though the contract says “not guaranteed” and I will receive all of it if I complete my ‘normal job duties’ like turning in my lesson plans and showing up to work. Can they do that?

Asked on July 22, 2012 under Employment Labor Law, Texas

Answers:

FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

If you have not started the position that you have written about the compensation package offered you is legal under the laws of states in this country but very ambigous as to how such is written needing greater specificity in my opinion.

I suggest that you consult with your human resources department at work or your immediate supervisor as to the need for greater clarity in the compensation package to be spelled out in a subsequent document dated and signed by your employer for your protection.


IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.