Can my employer deny me the right to attend doctor’s appointments for a high risk pregnancy?

I am an employee of a large charter school organization in the state of Texas. I am currently in the middle 20 weeks of a high risk pregnancy. I have a condition known as Hyperemesis Gravidarum, which if not constantly monitored and medicated can result in the death of both myself and my unborn child. My employer recently advised me, via e-mail, that it is mandatory for me to be at work and that all doctors’ visits must be scheduled before school starts 7:30 am, after school ends 4:30 pm, on Saturdays, or on holidays. I’m guessing this is not legal, but do I have any recourse?

Asked on July 31, 2012 under Employment Labor Law, Texas


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

Under the laws of all states in this country, one's employer cannot legally restrict an employee who needs to see his or her treating physician for a serious medical condition such as the one that you are writing about. I suggest that you have your treating physician write a letter "to whom it may concern" on your behalf excusing you to see him or her whenever. Once received, provide a copy of this to your employer and your human resources department.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.