Can I sue my former employer from another state?

I worked at a shop for about 2 weeks before deciding to take another job elsewhere in another state. The shop paid me for 1 week of work and then never sent me another check for the

remaining hours he owed me. I found out a week ago my first paycheck bounced. I contacted the Dept of Labor and they couldn’t get anything out of him. So now I have no other option but to sue him. However, I’m wondering if I can do that from the state I’m living in now.

Asked on May 12, 2016 under Employment Labor Law, North Carolina


S.L,. Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

You are the plaintiff.  Your former employer is the defendant.
A lawsuit can be filed in the state where the plaintiff resides or in the state where the defendant resides or in the state where the claim arose.  Therefore, you can file your lawsuit in the state where you currently reside.
To reduce costs, have a process server in or near the city where your former employer is located serve the employer with the summons and complaint.  The complaint is the lawsuit.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.