Can I sue my father for steeling stocks that were in my name and that he had transfered to his name with out my authority?

My parents set up a joint stock account fund for my sister and I when we were younger (and minors). Now my parents are in the process of divorce and my father will not release the money to us. He also took my name off the joint account wirhout my authority. My dad has explained to me that we will not receive the money after the divorce, but I am afraid that will be to late. I want the money transfered to me before but he insists his lawyer states this cannot happen. Is this true?

Asked on July 20, 2012 under Bankruptcy Law, Maryland


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

If you have concrete evidence that your father placed stocks that were in your name or in a custodial account for you into his name without written authorization to do so and you want the certicates placed in your name again and he will not do so, then you seemingly have a factual and legal basis for a legal action to compel him to do so or for damages.

I suggest that you consult with an attorney experienced in Wills and trust law including custodial accounts to assist you with further questions that you may have concerning your particular matter.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.