Can I sue my ex-husband for damages done to my credit as a direct result of his not paying a mortgage he was awarded in our divorce?

In my divorce my ex-husband was awarded our residence. Per the judgment he was to make all payments and I was not to be responsible. He bought a new house last fall and later a new car. He quit paying the mortgage 10 months ago on the home he was awarded in our divorce 4 years ago. My credit has dropped over 200 points and the house is now foreclosed and up for auction, and have been denied credit due to this delinquent account which was the only change to my credit. I have contacted my attorney and the bank however each is telling me to contact the other.

Asked on March 17, 2012 under Family Law, California


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

You can sue your former husband for breaching the maritial dissolution agreement where he was to make the mortgage poayments on the hosue that you were awarded but he failed to do so resulting in its foreclosure and damage to your credit report. The problem that I see is how to value your damaged credit rating in terms of dollars and cents.

For that number you would have to retain an expert in the area of credit damages to come up with a dollar figure for it. I also suggest that you consult with an attorney that practices in the area of consumer law to assist you further.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.