Can I sue my company for sharing my personal information

I received an email stating my social security
number was accidentally share with other

Asked on March 9, 2017 under Employment Labor Law, Utah


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

Unfortunately, unless you suffer a monetary loss, you have no standing to sue since you have as of yet to suffer harm. Merely, divulging personal employee information is not actionable, although it is highly unprofessional. You could, however, ask your company (or even a court) to have your employer enroll you in a credit reporting service for a year or maybe more.

SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

You can't effectively sue just for it being shared, unless you are suing possibly for a court order that the employer pay for a credit monitoring-type service for a few years. The problem is, in terms of monetary compensation (as opposed to court order that the employer take steps to remediate or minimize the potential harm), you can only get compensation for the *actual* losses you provably suffered from the disclosure. If the information has been shared but you have suffered no harm from it, there is no compensation to which you are entitled.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.