If I paid a law firm to file my bankruptcy but they never did, how do I get my $1500 back?

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If I paid a law firm to file my bankruptcy but they never did, how do I get my $1500 back?

I was working with a law firm. I paid them the full amount to file my bankruptcy. The last time

I spoke with an attorney was 2 months ago. I called again to check the status last week and got a recording that they are closed and won’t be reopening. I emailed the address they left on the recording saying that I want my bankruptcy filed or my money back. I have not received any response. I started the filing last year around this time and was told to tell all the creditors to contact them. Now these bills have been sitting out there an extra year without me paying

anything. What legal rights do I have to get my money back?

Asked on April 17, 2016 under Business Law, Wisconsin


S.L,. Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

It would be advisable to contact the State Bar of Wisconsin and file a complaint against the law firm.  The law firm will be subject to discipline for abandoning a client.
You might also want to contact your state's Attorney General's office for consumer fraud.
You could also sue the law firm for breach of contract (failing to do the work or refund your money).  The retainer agreement is a contract between attorney and client.  Prior to filing a lawsuit for breach of contract, it would be advisable to do what is mentioned above-contacting State Bar of Wisconsin and the Attorney General's office consumer fraud division.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption