CanI sue a university for providing me false information about a degree program?

I attend a private accelerated university. Since a month after I enrolled, the academic and enrollment advisers have mislead me about my degree, graduation date and price of tuition. Can take legal action on this? I mentioned to the enrollment counselor what program I wanted to be in and he sign me up for a general Bus. Administration program and and told me that I could change that later on and that my graduation date would not change nor the price. This is only one of the issues that I have encountered with this university, please help. All I am trying to do is get my education and my degree.

Asked on August 19, 2011 California


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

You might have grounds to sue. If one party to a transaction or contract commits fraud to induce the other party to sign up, that can provide grounds to either rescind the contract or seek monetary damages. Fraud is the knowing or deliberate misrepresentation (lie) of material (important) facts, made with the intention that the other party rely on those facts and the other party does reasonably (so the average person would have done this) rely on them. If there was fraud about the degree program, costs, diploma or credentials, etc., that could provide grounds for a lawsuit based in fraud. From what you write, it would be worthwhile for you to consult with an attorney, who can evalute the circumstances in detail and then take action if appropriate. Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.