Can I sue a previous employer for breaching a separation agreement?

I resigned from my previous employer 7 months ago. We have a separation agreement stating that information about my employment and my reasons for leaving would remain confidential and inquiring employers would be informed that I resigned and the dates of my employment. I found out that the employer has been telling inquiring employers “not” to hire me and has taken actions to ruin my government security clearance. I have not been able to find work for 7 months because of this.

Asked on July 19, 2012 under Employment Labor Law, Georgia


Paula McGill / Paula J. McGill, Attorney at Law

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

Look at the agreement to determine your rights under the contract.  Many contracts allow the aggrieved party to obtain attorney's fees if the party wins in court.  Other contracts have an arbitration, mediation, or notification section.  In the absence of these provisions, you can sue in court.

However, the problem is proof.  You will have to have witnesses or other evidence demonstrating your former employer breached the contract.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.