can i sue a company for not paying me what i worked for as a independent contractor?

Im a commercial driver. The company I
worked for haven’t paid me my last
check I’ve been waiting to he paid
since Feb 8 16 and still waiting she
say she sent it in the mail Friday feb
19 16 now today is Thursday still no
check how could I get them to give me
my money I worked for?

Asked on February 25, 2016 under Employment Labor Law, Florida


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

When an independent contractor is not paid what he is owed, the only way to get the money is to sue for it. (The department of labor will help employees, but not independent contractors, get their money.) If your employer is located in the same or a nearby county to you, suing in their county's small claims court on a pro se (as your own attorney) basis is a good option.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.