Can i smoke marijuanna on probation with medical license

I have medical license fo marijuanna i
am on probation

Asked on May 29, 2018 under Criminal Law, Colorado


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 2 years ago | Contributor

No, you can't. The fact is that even though smoking marijuana with a medical license is legal in most cases. However, the terms of probation can restrict otherwise lawful activity. For example, possessing a firearm, co-habitating with a felon, or (as in this case) smoking marijuana regarding a medical condition even though fully licensed.

SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 2 years ago | Contributor

No, you may not. The terms of probation can restrict you from many things that are otherwise legal: e.g. traveling freely or relocating (since you may have to stay around to meet with your probation officer); associating with whomever you want (e.g. you can be restricted from meeting with or spending time with people who themselves have criminal records, or with certain specified persons); having a gun; etc. If the terms of your probation bar you from using either marijuana specifically or any illegal drug (and under federal law, which has not been changed, marijuana remains an illegal drug, so it is still considered one), you cannot use marijuana.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.