Can I serve a 90 day jail sentence for someone else?

A dear friend of mine just got sentenced to 90 in jail for criminal neglect of her daughter who got sick with a rare disease. She is a good mother and because of the pictures of the daughter, she was convicted. I’d like to serve the sentence for her if I could.

Asked on October 25, 2011 under Criminal Law, Idaho


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

No, you cannot serve the imposed jail sentence for someone else. The laws of all states decree that when someone is convicted of a crime, that person is to receive the actual conviction that will go on his or her record and if jail time is given, the person who receives the jail sentence must actually serve the the time.

Most likely your friend if she has good behavior in jail will receive a reduction of the imposed 90 day jail sentence for her conviction. Usually one gets 1 day off the jail sentence for each day served with good behavior. In this situation your friend's actual jail time may end up being 45 days.

Good question.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.