Can I put my fiancee on the title to my house without refinancing?

My fiancee and I live together and I want to protect her ability to stay in the house if something should happen to me. I have an insurance policy with her as the beneficiary and want her on the title so she can just keep the house and pay it off. Is it possible to add her now without refinancing. I know mortgage obligations and title ownership are to separate issues. Is it costly?

Asked on November 4, 2011 under Real Estate Law, Arizona


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

If you simply wish to add your fiancee's name to the legal title of the home that you own in addition to your name, I see no reason why you cannot do so and if you do, you do not need to refinance the parcel.

All you need to do is sign a properly completed grant deed giving her some interest in the home and record it with the county recorder's office. I recommend that you have a real estate attorney draft this deed.

Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.