Can I petition the court to remove my ex-wife from the deed without her consent?

I have a final divorce decree that states that I get the house and my ex-wife is to sign all paperwork required to transfer title and ownership to me. It has been 8 months and she refuses to do so. She has has since moved out of state.

Asked on August 20, 2012 under Family Law, Georgia


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

You can file a motion for contempt and to enforce the agreement between you.  Problem is that she is out of state so you are going to have to figure out how that will work procedurally.  If she defaults on appearing for the motion you can ask for alternative relief, and see if the court will do as yo want.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.