Can I make them move

I am in the process of buying a home and 2.5 acres of land from my
uncle, however his brother lives in a doublewide on the land and has for
years. Can I legally make him move? What will my rights be once I buy
this property?

Asked on September 14, 2017 under Real Estate Law, North Carolina


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

Yes you can, that is unless he has a written lease. If not, then you can give him a 30 day notice to vacate and start an eviction proceeding if he fails to remove himself from the property. If there is a lease, then you will have to buy the property "subject to" his tenancy. That means that he must be allowed to stay until his lease expires. 

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.