Can I hire an expensive attorney to evict my boyfriend?

Can I hire an expensive attorney to evict my boyfriend from my mom apartment where we all currently live. I never asked him to move in, one day when visiting he never went home. I have ask him to leave several times in the past few years. He threatens me with anything he tries. He makes me feel like I am trap. I have always been nice and taken care of him. he has taken advantage of me and my mother. I just can’t handle this situation anymore. It is to stressful. I really don’t want to have to go to family court and handle this situation myself.can an attorney help me and file the proper forms for me. Can this be handle for a reasonable fee?

Asked on July 18, 2012 under Family Law, New York


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

PLease go and speak with ana ttorney as soon as you can.  Yes, you can find a reasonable one by calling your local bar association. It does not sound like you need to go to family court and if you are feeling threatened I would consider a restraining order as soon as possible as well as an eviction if he is considered a tenant (but really he is a trespasser). Still eviction is a good idea legally.  But with a restraining order you could get him out quickly and be safe.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.