Can I get the assault charges I have against my boyfriend dropped?

My boyfriend and I were arguing the other day when he punched me in the arm. My mom brought me to the police station and they charged him with domestic and aggravated assault because he had a knife on him at the time. I signed saying where I would prosecute but quickly changed my mind right after and

told the officers but they said it was out of my control now. Since I am the only witness and other than the knife there’s no other evidence, if I drop the charges will they continue with his case? If worse comes to worse, I thought that I can just recant my story but will that result in legal trouble for me?

Asked on April 10, 2017 under Criminal Law, Tennessee


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

First of all, it is up to the prosecutor, not the alleged victim as to whether or not criminal charges are dropped. This is true even if the alleged victim does not want to cooperatete with the prosecution. If there is other evidence to support the charge, then the case can still go forward. As for your recanting your statement, it again will be up to the prosecutor as to what will happen. At this point, you should consult directly with a local criminal law attorney.  

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.