Is it legal for my boss to changethe time thatI punch in and out at work?

UPDATED: Jun 9, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jun 9, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Is it legal for my boss to changethe time thatI punch in and out at work?

If I punch in at 8:06 am and my boss changes it to 8:15 am. Is that OK? Or if I punch in at 7:51 am and my boss changes it to 8:00 am. What can I do about this? My boss changes my hours all the time.

Asked on June 9, 2011 under Employment Labor Law, Massachusetts


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

No, from what you write, this NOT ok or legal. Labor law (e.g. the federal Fair Labor Standards Act, or FLSA) states that empoloyers must accurately record time AND that employees must be paid for all time worked. You are being cheated of considerable time--if you cheated of 8 - 10 minutes per day, that's 32 to 40 minutes per week; you should be paid 1/2 to 2/3 hour more each week, or for an extra 25 - 37 hours--or essentially, almost one extra work week--per year.

You should either contact the state or federal departent of labor and/or speak with an employment attorney; it may be the case that you have a cause of action and are entitled to extra pay.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption