Can I get out of my lease if there are safety concerns?

Cops come to my neighbors apartment a lot and there are fights every weekend. I have kids and I don’t feel safe living there anymore. Can we move out without penalty?

Asked on October 23, 2011 under Real Estate Law, Ohio


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

A lease is a contract. Like any other contract, as a general matter, you can only get out of it if the other party to the contract doesn't live up to his or obligations in some way; the other party's breach, if it's of an important, or material term, then allows you to terminate. However, the other party is not responsible for events beyond his or her control, except in special cases where the outside events prohibit that party from honoring its obligations. (E.g. if a hurricane or fire destroys the building, then the landlord can longer provide an apartment to you; you can generally terminate the lease in that case.) In the situation you describe, since the neighbor is a also a tenant of the landlord, you *may* have grounds to terminate the lease--you are having your right to "quiet enjoyment" destroyed by another tenant, who is a person at least partially under the landlord's control (landlords can evict tenants who destroy the quiet enjoyment of their fellow tenants).

That does not mean you can just leave immediately, however; you have to at least provide the landlord written notice of the condition or problem, and a reasonable chance to take action. It also must be the case that the neighbors' actions are destroying your quiet enjoyment--if there is just sporadic noise, but no threats made to you, no criminal activity directed to you, etc., it's not clear the conduct is bad enough to justify termination. Since so much depends on the specific facts and on you taking action in the  prior way, you should consult in detail with an attorney about this situation. Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.