can i get in trouble for notarizing my husbands documents that he filed to modify his child support?

Im a notary public in florida and Im afraid that his court documents wont be
valid if anyone finds out. Also, could I get in trouble?

Asked on September 4, 2016 under Family Law, Florida


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

No, if you are a notary and your husband signed in front of you, you will not get in trouble and it will not invalidate the documents. As you know, a notary's role is to confirm that the person signing is the one who claims to be signing it--no more and no less. Nothing about being married to the signer prevents you from doing that. If you'd be more comfortable with a third party notary doing this, then by all means have someone else notarize--but legally can notarize it, if you choose, as long as you follow the regular rules, etc. for notarizing.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.