What can I do about this situation?

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What can I do about this situation?

I received a letter from my landlord stating the residents on my floor complained that when my husband and I are having sex we are very loud. Apparently, 4 residents were standing in the halls and could hear everything and this supposedly happens often. I felt so violated and disrespected. I would like to know what I can do about this issue. We have lived here for 2 years with no complaint of that sort. Can something to be done about violating my privacy.

Asked on September 27, 2016 under Real Estate Law, Illinois


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

Actually, if they can hear you in the halls (or in other units), they are NOT violating your privacy: your privacy stops at the walls of your rental unit, and anything heard beyond those walls is not private. Moreover, if you are disturbing other tenants by having too-loud sex, YOU are in the wrong--you are engaging in "disorderly conduct" and possibly also violating your lease (most leases have provisions barring disturbing other tenants) and could potentially be evicted for this disturbance.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption