What to do if I’m getting a divorce and my name is still on the house with my husbands but he won’t refinance?

He lives in it and he is still paying the mortgage.

Asked on September 24, 2012 under Family Law, North Carolina


Jon Welborn / Welborn Law Firm, PLLC

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

You can ask the court to divide by way of equitable distribution. Property that is acquired during marriage by one or both spouses, and owned on the date of separation, may be defined as marital property subject to the equitable distribution law of North Carolina. As general advice you should consult with an attorney because there are other factors that may come into play such as the source of funds to purchase home, are both names on deed and mortgage, what is equity in home... Etc. 

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.