Can I file suit against a home mortgage bank?

About 2 years ago the bank made a computer error on their end that put a stop on payments on our mortgage (they would not accept payments, and actually returned one of the payments I managed to get through to them). Subsequently, they entered our mortgage into foreclosure. By the time they fixed their internal error it was about four months later and they had put us into foreclosure, refused to modify the loan or better yet- correct their error to begin with. Instead, they filed court paperwork demanding the full amount due on the loan. In all of this, it goes without saying that they reported our credit negatively (even though it was because of their errors…).

Asked on September 11, 2012 under Real Estate Law, Florida


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

If the reason for these negative consequences was bank error as you indicate, then you may be able to sue the bank: when a business or person costs someone else money or otherwise damages them through their negligence, or unreasonable carelessness, they can be liable for the costs or damage they do or inflict. From what you write, it would be worthwhile for  you to meet with an attorney to discuss the case and your possible recourse in detail. Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.