Can I change my health insurance coverage through my employee?

My company has an open enrollment for
benefits once a year. This last year I
bumped up the coverage and noticed my
paycheck is significantly lower. Low
enough to be evicted and be in debt.
When I contacted Benefits they informed
me no changes can be made until open
enrollment returns unless a ‘Life
Event’ divorce, death, birth,
adoption…. Since financial hardship
is not in the criteria, is there any
legal action I could take to fix the

Asked on April 30, 2016 under Employment Labor Law, California


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

No, there isn't any action you take, unfortunately: as you correctly note, finanical hardship is not a valid reason to change your plan or contribution. Insurance may only be changed for the defined life event reasons; otherwise, it is a contract, and you are obligated to its terms.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.