I have illness and my son has one to i have to take days off of work can i get fired for that.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

I have illness and my son has one to i have to take days off of work can i get fired for that.

I have lichen planus it a autoimmune
disorder i just found out couple of
weeks ago. And my son has austim and he
has a doctor he goes to…

Asked on April 29, 2016 under Employment Labor Law, Georgia


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

Yes, you can be fired for missing work for medical care or illness unless you do one or both of the following:
1) Have and use sufficient paid time off (e.g. sick days) to cover the absences; and/or
2) If your company is covered by FMLA (basically, at least 50 employees within a 75-mile radius) and you are eligible for FMLA (worked there at least a year; have worked at least 1,250 hours in the last year), you properly use FMLA leave for any absences (you can find the FMLA rules on the U.S. Dept. of Labor website).
Otherwise, if you don't use PTO or FMLA leave for absences, you can be fired, even if there were medical reasons; the law does not make employers keep employees who do not or cannot go to work.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption