Can I change from H1B to J1?

I am a foreign medical graduate and will be applying for medical residency

training this year. I want to complete my internal medicine residency training on H1b for 3 years, then apply to J1 visa and complete 3 year cardiology fellowship and 2 year sub speciality training in cardiac electrophysiology. I cannot do 3 years of medicine residency and 5 years of training in cardiology a total of 8 years with just a J1 or H1b visa. is it possible to change from H1B to J1 after residency? How should I go about this?

Asked on March 4, 2016 under Immigration Law, Massachusetts


SB Member California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

You can do it all on a H-1B visa if you also have a pending permanent application filed on your behalf at least 1 year prior to the expiration of your H-1B 6 year maximum.  You can also change to J-1 but that is typically not the way to go.  Usually, people opt to change from j-1 to H-1B since H-1B allows for immigrant intent.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.