Can I be extradited back to a state in which I wrote bad checks?

I recently moved to another state and I found out a couple of checks under $500 bounced. I tried to set up a payment schedule with the companies but with my being on SSI I cannot pay what they are asking. Can they have me extradited back if they press charges?

Asked on November 9, 2011 under Criminal Law, Mississippi


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

There is always a chance that if criminal charges are filed against you for the bad check issue, a warrant for the extradiction of you could happen assuming you are arrested. However, for a $500 or so claim, I really do not see the district attorney's office getting involved.

The claim that you are writing about sounds more like a civil action. I would simply make voluntary payments on your own to pay down the bad checks in the interim.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.