What are my rights if I live in a deed restricted small housing community?

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What are my rights if I live in a deed restricted small housing community?

I’ve been here for 13 years. We pay annual fees for general maintenance, etc. There is a board of directors appointed and a property management company. Everything has gone smoothly for 12 years. Starting sometime last year, there was a group appointed apparently to oversee compliance with property upkeep. I received a letter 10/15 re: trimming a palm, and “mold” in the drive. I took care of those things within a couple weeks and f/u with an email to the company. Now, 1/16 I get a certified letter stating I didn’t take care of the mold problem. I believe my drive looks fine. There are some sl darkened areas, but do not change with pressure washing. What are my legal rights with this? Can I legally be fined?

Asked on January 13, 2016 under Real Estate Law, Florida


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 7 years ago | Contributor

There are two different issues here:
1) The association's legal authority to do this: if the documents (e.g. the deed; HOA agreements; etc.) give them the power to set standards for the exterior/yard/driveway/etc. and to fine--or adopt rules allowing fines--violators, then they legally can do this.
2) Practically or factually, they can only fine you if you are fact in violation of the standards or rules, so if you could prove that you are not in violation (e.g with photos or videos), they should not be able to fine you. 
However, note that they do not need to give you any "credit" for making good faith efforts--they strictly look only to whether or not you are in compliance. They also do not need to give you any consideration or take account of whether you are disable or have health problems, and again, could choose to look only at whether you are in compliance.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption