Can I add a written statement on an Agreement document I need to sign?

I filed a complaint against the flooring company that installed a defected laminate in my home. We agreed that the company will refund me 50 of what I paid plus installation of carpet on the stairs to include materials at no charge. They sent me an ‘Accommodation Agreement’ for me to sign, but they omitted the part of the carpet installation. I asked them to add it to the agreement, but they said that their legal department cannot add it. I want to adde it myself next to my signature. Can I do that?

Asked on March 2, 2016 under Business Law, Florida


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

If you write in some new term and sign it back, you have in fact rejected the original agreement and countered with a new one. Therefore, unless the other side accepts your new term (which can be shown by countersigning it, or initialling next to your hand-written change), there is no enforceable agreement between you--neither the original one (which you rejected by adding or changing a term) nor your counterproposal (which they did not accept).

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.