Can he evict me?

I have l lived with a man in his residence for 6 years. In Oct 08, we had a fight and I decided to stay a few days, until things cooled off, in the loft above the barn on his property. It is on an adjacent lot to his residence. This arrangement seemed to be working fine. I still helped with his books and do yard work, care for several hunting dogs he owns. Then a few weeks ago, we had another disagreement, and I have been told thru mutual friends that he wants me out and is taking legal action to have me removed. I have not been told this nor have I received any official notification of eviction. A friend said he told them I have two weeks to vacate or sheriff will be escorting me off property. I also have livestock, horses, on property. I live in Florida.

Asked on June 27, 2009 under Criminal Law, Florida


J.M.A., Member in Good Standing of the Connecticut Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

You cannot evict someone from property unless you go through what is called the summary process/eviction process in court.  The guy is required to serve you with a eviction notice that has a date for you to be out.  If you do not leave he is required to get a judgment in court to have a marshal force you to move out.  If you have certain property there you  need time to locate a new place.  I suggest speaking to a lawyer to help you buy some time before you are required to leave.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.