Can foreigner in US on visitor Visa get a work visa?

Nigerian national, in US on a
visitor Visa has a job offer,
but needs a social security
number for employment. Can he
apply for a work visa while in
the US? How can he get a
Social Security number?

Asked on December 30, 2017 under Immigration Law, Texas


SB Member California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

No one is not authorized to work in the US while in the US on a visitor's visa.  In order to have valid work authorization one must have a visa or be sp onsored for a visa that allows for employment.  For this one typically needs to first have a job offer from a US employer and then that employer petitions the USCIS for a work visa on behalf of the employee.  Only once that is approved can one start working.  

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.