Can daughter collect spousal and/or child support

Daughter and significant other have lived together for 7 years and have a 4 yr
old son. Engaged but never married can she collect spousal support and/or child
support in the state of California. He wants to end relationship

Asked on January 22, 2018 under Family Law, California


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

So in California there is something called "Palimony", which no other state in the country recognizes.  There are strict criteria for collecting and your daughter should speak wo someone about that. As for child support, absolutely. There are state mandates as to same.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.