Can an H1B visa holder register an S-corporation under his name or can he only allocate shares under his name?

Asked on October 28, 2014 under Immigration Law, Michigan


Harun Kazmi / Kazmi and Sakata Attorneys at Law

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

You may own shares of a corporation. However, you cannot earn any salary or income from it. In addition, most S-corps do not allow non-US citizens or residents to be shareholders. 

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.