If a family member has been charged with 13 counts of grand theft and 2 counts of identity theft, will he be deported?

UPDATED: Oct 27, 2014

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 27, 2014Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If a family member has been charged with 13 counts of grand theft and 2 counts of identity theft, will he be deported?

They had no prior criminal record and have lived in the US for 29 years, however they never had a green card. What are the chances he will be deported after pleading guilty after his sentence in court?

Asked on October 27, 2014 under Immigration Law, California


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

Most likely the answer is that he will be held by Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE) officials when they are alerted to his arrest by the DA regardless of his conviction or acquittal on the charges.  I would consider hiring a criminal and immigration attorney here. 

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption