can a will be written stating that it can not be changed in the future by codicils, etc?

My grandmother passed away and left most of her estate in name cds, deed to house etc changed before she passed or left in POD to my uncle. Although her will left the estate split between her 2 sons. My father had stated that he would allow that to happen because my uncle had no means of support and was living in my grandparents’ house after he attempted suicide.
He has a ‘good for nothing’ son who has not convinced him to move to another state. My uncle’s current will lists my siblings and myself as his heirs and specifically disinherits his son and daughter he signed away parental rights to.
We are talking about over 500,000.

Asked on May 12, 2016 under Estate Planning, New Jersey


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

No, no will--or, for that matter, other llegal document, like a contract--can prevent future changes. A will can always be revised, changed, invalidiated, or superceded by a later will, codicil or amendment. The only way to make irrevocable changes is to give the assets away now, whether to a person or a trust (an irrevocable trust): once they no longer belong to a person, he cannot later change their disposition.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.