Can a minor give consent to be searched?

My son is 17 and he gave consent to a search. During the search his case that he uses to carry cigarettes had a trace amount of marijuana.

Asked on December 9, 2011 under Criminal Law, Utah


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

Under the laws of all states in this country, a minor can give valid consent to have his body searched by law enforcement if asked. In your situation, your son who is a minor consented to a search by law enforcement which turned up marijuana most likely resulting in a citation or an arrest.

From what you have written, the search was valid. If your son has pending charges against him, I suggest that he consult with a criminal defense attorney even though he most likely is being charged as a minor.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.