Can a sole trustee, an adult child, on a parent’s estate influence a Will change and not divulge the change to the other adult children?

Some of the adult children are not being given access to speak to the parent and unclear what next steps are in the best interest of our parent.

Asked on August 30, 2011 California


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

It is not exactly clear here what documents are in place with regard to your parents, their estate and what mental condition they are in.  But it is clear form the few facts given that you believe that one of your siblings is unduly influencing your parents and using that influenced to their advantage by cutting you all off from them.  You need to seek legal help there to determine what you need to do (the documents in place help determine that) like to have a trustee removed, to request that Will be invalidated due to undue influence, etc.  You will need to start an action against the sibling.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.