Can a settlement that a judge approved be changed by one party years later?

My Father and my Uncle never got along their business was split 50/50
They were in court for years fighting over . The judge ordered them to come thru
with a settlement or contract or she would force sale on the business and they
would get even split on what the business sold for..
they came thru with a contract and both lawyers agreed it was fair.
The judge accepted and they both had 50/50 split on the business….
My father passed away he was fighting cancer at same time
my question is can my uncle change any part of this contract without my
knowledge? ….. or the judges knowledge?

Asked on June 23, 2017 under Business Law, Pennsylvania


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

No, he may not. A contract or settlement may *only* be modified with either the consent of all parties (or at least their legal representatives: e.g someone who had legal guardianship or a POA) or by a court order (e.g. after a legal action in which a judge determines that there is some reason, such as fraud or a mutual mistake, that requires an alteration). No one party to a contract or agreement may unilaterally, or one-sidedly, alter it.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.