Can a person with a felony possibly become a medical doctor?

I have state jail felony for fraud from 10 years ago that I was placed on probation for and completed with no issues. I truly learned from my mistake and have gotten my life together. I would like to become a doctor but I am worried that I may not be able to become licensed. I know laws vary from state to state so if could someone please offer some advice on this topic. Are any states known to have more acceptance than others?

Asked on July 26, 2012 under Employment Labor Law, Texas


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

Whether or not a person with a felony conviction can be admitted to be a licensed physician in a particular state depends upon a particular state's medical association that governs and regulates licensed physicians on a state to state basis. Such is an administrative entity.

Whther a felony conviction would prevent admission as a licensed physician in a given state depends on many factors including the type of a felony one was convicted of, his or her age at the time, and what the person has done with his or her life since.

I suggest you contact the state where you want to practice medicine's medical association and discuss whether your felony conviction would make becoming a physician in that particular state an impossibility or not.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.